Salisbury Bowling Club - History
The Club can be traced back to 1751. In that year there were at least three greens in Salisbury, all of which have now disappeared.
One of these greens, situated at the confluence of the rivers Avon and Nadder, was the forerunner of the present club.
From plans in the city archives it can be seen that the original club was part of a small holding known as 'Bowling Green Nurseries' and was 40 square yards.
In 1911 the nursery changed hands, the bowlers were banished and the green ploughed under.
The deposed bowlers continued to play on the lawn of a house in Wain-a-Long Road until the City Council laid a three rink green in Victoria Park in 1912.
In 1913 the existing players, with a few enthusiasts, formed the new Salisbury Bowling Club, and in 1941 the club affiliated to the Wiltshire County Bowling Association, which had been formed the year before.
It was eventually decided in 1936 that the club should have their own green and a site was purchased in Devonshire Road, where a green and a pavilion were constructed.